Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Gene Music

Since I presented this topic in class, the more I think about it the harder it is for me to classify it as art or science. The reason that it is art is because it is abstract. Two different people could make music from the same sequence, but the two pieces would probably sound very different based on the method. This gives the music an artistic frame work as the same sequence can be used to produce different representations. But then on the other hand, the development and applications of the music is very scientific. DNA sequencing is involved and it can be used to predict complex folding patterns of proteins. So what is gene music... science or art?

Since I didn't get to play all my music samples in class on Monday, I have posted a link to a really good webpage bellow. I would really recommend visiting this site as it gives a pretty good overview of the different work and applications of making music from DNA. It also gives links to different scientist and artist webpages so that you can listen to the music. Enjoy!

http://whozoo.org/mac/Music/Sources.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home